Football

Uwdi Krugg will be spending the 2016-17 season watching South West non league football, eating the wrong kind of food and having a bloody good moan.


Sunday, 27 July 2014

Return to Bower Fold

Loads of games this weekend but strangely none of them provided me with the get up and go factor to pump excess diesel into the Match Tank for a prolonged trip to a new venue. When Flint Towns game with Oldham Boro bit the dust in rather secretive circumstances I decided to just go to a match for the fun of it irrespective of whether it was a new ground or not. I decided to wander along to Bower Fold the home of Stalybridge Celtic, they happened to be playing Southport whom I also have a bit of a soft spot for. I enjoyed the match but had already decided to not do a full-on visit report. I've taken loads of photographs of the wonderful Bower Fold ground in the past, there was no urge to add to whats been done before.

Here is a cut and paste job of the message I left on the 'Non League Matters' forum under their classification of "where did you go".

STALYBRIDGE CELTIC 2 SOUTHPORT 2
Admission: £7
Attendance: 123 (head count)
Programme: None printed
Tea Hut Stuff: Too hot for grub (had a pint of weak lager in the clubhouse instead £3, not much choice, pants)
Weather: Hot and sultry, lots of sunshine
Parking: Just over the main road from the official club car park (which was charging cash).

I've had enough pre season friendlies now, the novelty has worn off.
Dont reckon this encounter warranted 7 quid entry but I seem to like both sides and Bower Fold is a superb non league setting.
Decent quality football for the most part, I'd give it 6/10.
Not many turned out crowd wise, the away end totalled 4 teenagers with Southport shirts.
The usually popular tea hut was mega quite, they were trying to sell off remnant pies (at half price) at the exit gate come full time.
The ground has been well covered on here over the years (I'll say no more other than its fabulous).
Bridge are badly in need of a striker to hack it at Conference North level for the upcoming season.
Southport looked to have something about them on this showing, plenty of positives to work upon.
Was going to do a visit report and some snaps for 'Wheres The Tea Hut' but I've been to Bower Fold too many times in the past.

No comments: